VAT Refund for Tourists
Who can claim VAT refunds
A VAT refund can be claimed by any non-Thai visitor who.......
- Has not been in Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year
- Is not a crew member of an airline
- Departs Thailand by air carrier from an international airport.
How to Claim a VAT refund
- VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand within 60 days from the date of purchase.
- The goods must be purchased from stores displaying the "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign.
- On any day, goods purchased at a participating store must not be less than baht 2,000 and the total amount of goods purchased, including VAT, must not be less than baht 5,000.
- At each store ask the sales assistant to complete 2 VAT refund forms (P.P.10) and attach the original tax invoice to the forms.
- Before departure, present your purchase to Customs and Revenue officers for inspection in order to obtain VAT refund at the departure lounge after check-in and Passport control.
- In case the VAT refund exceeds baht 10,000, you can either present your claim to the Customs and Revenue officers at the VAT Refund Office of drop it in the box at the Refund Counter or mail it from your home back to the Revenue Department of Thailand.
How will to refund be paid ?
You can choose to receive your refund by
|not exceeding 10,000 baht||exceeding 10,000 baht|
|cash in Thai bahtdaftcredit to credit card account||draftcredit to credit card account|
Note : you must specify the method of receiving the refund on your form (P.P.10)
The following fees apply to refund requests
- For Cash refund, a fee of 100 baht
- For draft refund, a fee of 100 baht plus draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees.
- For credit to credit card account refund, a fee of 100 baht plus money transfer fee at the rate charged by banks.
Important to Note
You cannot claim VAT refunds for the following goods :
- Prohibited items
- Firearms, explosives or any similar items
- Gem stones
Allow yourself adequate time at the airport for the refund process. In case your request for refund by draft or credit card account receives no reply within an appropriate period of time, please contact at VAT Refund Office at Bangkok International Airport, Tel 535-6576-79 or the VAT Refund Center, Revenue Department, Phaholyothin Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand, Tel. 272-9376-87, Fax. (66) 2617 3559
Further information can be obtained from the participating stores or at the Revenue Department.
The Purchases for which you are claiming VAT refunds are subject to inspection by Customs and Revenue officers before departure at the VAT Refund Office inside the departure lounge.